I hope you love the products I've recommended below, just a heads up that as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn commissions on products bought via links on this page.
Moist heat therapy (convection heat) certainly has it’s advantages over the common dry heat. It wont leave your skin all dry and irritated while helping to improve tissue elasticity. Heating pads are a common heat treatment device, but not as many people as I would like know about the moist variety. So today we will be looking at the best moist heating pads in 2017 with reviews to offer a all round better experience.
Heat pads come in many shapes and sizes, the same goes for the moist kind. So it’s important to buy the right pad for your condition. But before you apply any kind of heat therapy, it’s important to know when you can and when you shouldn’t apply heat to your body.
For instance, if the affected area is swollen and bruised, it would be wiser to undertake cold treatment over heated. Some devices such as an electric neck and shoulder heating pad contain magnets to keep the pad from falling. So it’s very if you have a pacemaker to keep an eye out for the little things like this. Other common conditions where it’s best to check whether heat therapy is good for you include; Diabetes, Dermatitis, Deep Vein Thrombosis, never use on an open wound or recently pulled muscle.
Quick Links To Info On This Page
- 1 Risks Of Heat And Moisture Therapy
- 2 The Best Moist Heating Pad For Lower Back Pain
- 3 Why I Think The BodyMed Is A Top Rated Wet Heating Pad
- 4 The Best Moist Heating Pad For Neck And Shoulders
- 5 MaxHeat Deep-Heat Therapy from Thermophore
- 6 Best Heating Pad For Arthritis And Back Problems
Risks Of Heat And Moisture Therapy
While for the most part, moist heat therapy is a wonderful pain relief treatment, it does come with its cautions. This applies to any heating pad whether it is moist or dry. So in the interest of your own body and health, ALWAYS read the operating manual before use.
While heat does certainly feel good on tired sore muscles and joints, it can burn your skin. Using a moist heating pad does help in this scenario as it doesn’t absorb the moisture from your skin like a dry heating pad would. But it’s still important to monitor how hot the pad is getting. It’s also important to make sure you don’t keep the pad on longer then recommended (As tempting as it may be). About 20 minutes maximum is the common time period. Never go hotter then you can handle. Always avoid using moist heating pads if you have an infection as this can assist in the spreading of the infection.
The Best Moist Heating Pad For Lower Back Pain
Digital Electric Moist Heating Pad From BodyMed Review
The BodyMed white digital electric moist heating pad works by drawing moisture from the air. This is an incredible feature and one that provides an extra level of safety to the user. I have found that the BodyMed moist heating pad is one of the more popular choices for the people suffering from inflammation, joint pain, sprains, muscle aches, and general muscle pain and fatigue.
The heating pad delivers warmth in a systematic way and you can choose your preferred temperature through the digital LCD control. Which is simple to use thankfully. It has an automatic shut-off period of 15 minutes which I like, but you can adjust this to allow for up to one hour of use. But do remember to use this feature with cation as an hour is a long time for a heat session.
The BodyMed digital electric moist heating pad comes in 4 different sizes. The controls are simple to use and the LCD display is straightforward. The controls have a lock-out feature to prevent accidental tampering or temperature adjustments. Overall I think that this is the best rated moist heating pad for the back and shoulders as it can lay perfectly on you while you relax.
What I Love About The BodyMed Moist Heat Pad
- No water required which is a major winner for me.
- The BodyMed moist heating pad is flexible unlike some of the other ‘plastic’ cheap models. So this means it can essentially wrap around your body for a full on experience.
- Automatic shut-off. This is a pretty standard feature among the top rated heating pads. Always make sure the pad you buy has this feature.
- LCD control. Simple and easy to use. Nothing complicated here folks.
- Perfect aid for therapeutic relief. The moist heat therapy from the BodyMed is up there as one of the best experiences I’ve had in regards to pain relief.
- Controls protected with lockout ability which is handy if you have adventurous children climbing over you at all times.
What I Don’t Like Too Much
– The automatic shut-off period is shorter than that of other models. 15 minutes may not be enough for everybody.
– The LCD display does not light up while in use which can be both good and bad depending on the scenario. For example, if you are in the dark and go no light source to adjust the settings, then no LCD light would be a disadvantage.
– The controller makes beeping noise that can be quite loud which could be annoying if you are a shift worker and use this pad late at night.
Why I Think The BodyMed Is A Top Rated Wet Heating Pad
The BodyMed digital electric moist heating pad is reasonably priced and functions incredibly well without breaking the bank. If you want an effective moist heating pad to provide relief from all kinds of joint pain, muscle sprain, etc. this is the best option for you. If you suffer lower back pain like myself, I can safely say that this moist heating pad has done wonders for my back. Highly recommended.
The Best Moist Heating Pad For Neck And Shoulders
Renue Heat Therapy Wrap from Sunbeam Review
The Sunbeam Renue Heat Therapy Wrap is an amazing moist heating pad, which is machine washable, has 4 heat settings, and turns off automatically after 2 hours. It is uniquely designed and has a magnetic clasp that allows you to wrap it comfortably around the shoulders without having to worry about it falling or slipping off. But with this magnetic button comes the issues of pacemakers and the likes. So avoid magnets if this is you.
The Sunbeam Renue’s heat can be controlled in an easy yet efficient way via the digital LED controller. You can use your preferred option among the 4 heat settings to apply heat to different parts of the body efficiently to experience pain relief. The unit covers the large area of the shoulders, back, and neck.
The only real catch with the Sunbeam Renue is the fact that anybody with an internal insulin pump, ICD, or pacemaker cannot use the product due to the magnets.
Super Impressive Features
- 9-foot power cord that makes chilling out on the sofa much easier. A shorter cord limits where you can wear this wet heating pad.
- A 2 hour automatic shut off time.
- Can be completely washed, but do make sure to unplug the handheld controller first.
- Designed specifically for treating the neck and shoulder pain/discomfort. Due to it’s design it will sit nice and plumb on your neck and wrap around your shoulders.
- A very comfortable fit which is adjustable to suit many sizes.
What To Be Careful Of
- The adjustable neck size may not fit people with larger heads. Skim through Consumer Reviews on amazon to find a relevant answer.
- Chemical smell is noticeable upon opening the pack
- Cannot be used by people pacemakers, internal insulin pumps, and ICDs
My Overall Opinion
The Sunbeam Renue is a great product for those that suffer from chronic shoulder, back, or neck pain or experience muscle spasms in those areas. It was rated one of the best neck and shoulder heat wraps, second behind a far infrared heating pad. But where the Sunbeam shines is with it’s capability to offer both dry and moist heat therapy.
MaxHeat Deep-Heat Therapy from Thermophore
The Thermophore Maxheat Deep-Heat Therapy heating pad is a newer version of the Thermophore Arthritis pad. The brand Thermophore has been around for a very long time, and has shown that their products stand the test of time. What I like in particular is that it is a moist heating pad but you don’t have to add any water to it. The flannel cover draws moisture from the air automatically and releases it once the heat is on and activated.
This heating pad is large in size which is convenient for bigger people. I like the large size of this pad becasue you can wrap yourself up in it to achieve maximum wet heat therapy.
The Thermophore MaxHeat delivers moist heat very efficiently. It heats quickly and does not require a lot of moisture to make this heat more efficient and penetrate deeper into the muscle to ease the pain. It is very easy to clean this heating pad. It weighs just 4 pounds and provides great relief from strain and stress without too much of a hassle.
- An affordable and durable moist heating pad. Many people have owned one pad for several years without any signs of wear and tear.
- Huge heating surface that can warm up a large portion of your body. The measurements for this heating pad are 14″ by 27″.
- Has it’s own cover which is a nice touch you don’t see that frequently.
- You can simply press the handheld switch to get the desired amount of heat
- Heats up very quickly (In minutes) and reaches a very hot temperature. This can also be a negative so be careful with how much heat you put onto your skin.
- It does not have a timer
- It does not have a thermostat
- Update: This heating pad does now come with a controller to set timer and temperature settings. Low, Medium or high.
Should You Buy?
If you are looking for a great heating pad that covers your back and contours on your body accordingly, you should look no further than the Thermophore Automatic MaxHeat Deep-Heat Therapy Pack. It has tremendous heating capabilities and with the new control, you can monitor just how much heat you want. Really good quality product that has stood the test of time.
Best Heating Pad For Arthritis And Back Problems
Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad
The Chattanooga Theratherm is a USA-made (Or imported) moist heating pad, which is very effective in reducing pain and stiffness and is the easiest and quickest solution for muscle inflammation and pain. It is designed for the back, joints, shoulder, neck, elbow, knee, and even people suffering from arthritis. If you suffer from arthritis in the neck and tired of the smaller heating pads not performing due to pain running down the back, then you need to consider upgrading to a larger heating pad like the TheraTherm.
This pad covers the entire back and not just your neck. So it does a very good job at treating multiple problems at once, like Arthritis. The moist heat is especially good in these circumstances. It doesn’t feel like a river running down your back either. Try to imagine taking clothes out of the dryer before they are finished drying. Then adding a heater to the moisture in the material. It kind of resembles this feeling.
The Chattanooga Theratherm moist heating pad uses a flannel covering that draws moisture from that air and delivers intense heat ranging from 88 to 166 degrees Fahrenheit to the targeted area. The flannel cover is specially designed for constant and efficient moisture retention. The flannel cover is made of 60 percent cotton and 40 percent polyester.
Should you lay on top of the Theratherm wet heating pad? Technically no you shouldn’t. This is clearly stated in the user manual on page 10. However, I know people do and have so for many years. But this would void any warranty and could result in skin injuries. So I would suggest doing your own due diligence to protect yourself.
The Positives About The TheraTherm Moisture Heating Pad
- It is available in 4 different sizes. The standard is a large size which covers the back.
- Relaxes muscles and eases pain
- Lightweight and portable for on the go pain relief
- Comes with a lock out mode to prevent unwanted changes in temperature/switching on/off by accident.
- Produces moisture without having to boil water or use a microwave
My Only Gripes
- It is not designed to wrap the neck, but I’m still yet to find a heating pad that treats the entire body like this.
- You can only set the timer to 1-hour maximum, and you have to turn it on again after that
Is It Worth Buying?
The Chattanooga Theratherm Digital Moist Heating Pad is very effective when it comes to pain relief. The deep moist heat penetrates deep to soothe muscle aches and pains, which is why this heating pad is highly recommended. One of the higher quality products on the market from our research and one that you should seriously consider if you need a quality moist heating pad.
Don’t Want To Buy A Heat Pad? – Make Your Own
In this instructional video you will learn how to make your own moist heat pad using socks and brown rice.